May 26, 2021
Dear RSU 1 Community,
This letter is to inform you that the Maine Department of Education and Maine CDC have updated some of the health and safety guidelines for schools. Below is a list of the updates that RSU 1 will put into place as of June 1, 2021.
- Social distancing is no longer required between adults/adults and between adults/students indoors. However, positive cases will continue to be investigated and close contacts may need to be quarantined.
- Although mask requirements are being lifted in some public spaces, adults and students, vaccinated or not, are still required to wear face-coverings when indoors in all school buildings and on school transportation.
- Face coverings and physical distancing, however, are no longer required for outdoor classes, activities, eating, and recess. Close contact investigations will include student and staff contact tracing during outside time even though masks no longer have to be worn. Should students or staff want to keep masking outdoors, that is their choice and they may feel free to do so.
- Staff and students eating indoors together must still maintain 6 foot distancing.
- No distancing is required for music classes that are outside. Should there be a COVID-19 case, contact tracing will still take place for outdoor classes, so if 6 feet of distance can be maintained outside for music, it is recommended. 6 feet of distance will also still be required for indoor music classes, including singing and instrument playing.
Should you have any questions, please reach out to the principal of your student’s school. Thank you, as always, for remaining flexible throughout this year as guidance continues to change.
Superintendent of Schools